By Elyse Lopez, Communications Intern, Out & Equal Workplace Advocates
Yes, you can be the star of the 2014 Out & Equal Workplace Summit in San Francisco!
All you have to do is make a video selfie and we’ve made it really easy for you to participate. You can make the video on your iPhone or other device and upload it directly to YouTube with just a few key strokes.
We will select several videos to feature on the big screen for thousands to enjoy during the 2014 Out & Equal Workplace Summit general sessions. Then we’ll post a compilation video online for the world to see.
All you have to do is look into your iPhone and respond to one of these prompts:
“Being out at work is important to me because…”
“I attend Summit because…”
“Workplace equality matters because…”
“At Summit, I’m looking forward to learning…”
“Out & Equal matters because…”
Be creative, but keep it short and snappy and submit your video by October 1st.
Don’t forget to say your name and where you are from, so we can identify the many diverse locations your videos come from!
The video below shows how easy it is to make and send a video selfie.
Here are the written instructions:
1. Make the video on your iPhone
2. Send the video by pressing the YouTube icon
3. Sign-in: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Password: out&equal
5. Title the video (put your name and city)
6. Press “publish”
7. Congrats, you’re done
If your device doesn’t allow you to send direct to YouTube then you can upload your video in H.264, .mov and .wmv formats this way:
instructions: log in, drag file into box indicated, put the following address into the “Recipients” field – SidC@jsav.com – Please type your name and location into the “Custom Message” field and hit SEND TRANSFER
So, how do you make the best looking video?
Here are some tips:
- Position your iPhone or other device SIDEWAYS, not up and down! A video made with the device held horiztonally always looks better than when you hold it vertically. This is really important. Remember, be sure to hold your device the long way — on its side. Don’t hold it up the tall way. How else can we say this? It’s that important!
- Rest your device on something solid. The video will look better and more steady than if you hold your device.
- The room must be QUIET.
- Do not make the video outside. There will be too much background noise and you won’t be heard clearly. The best quality sound will come from the quietest room possible.
- Use a room with a neutral, while or light-colored wall behind you.
- Position yourself at least 3 feet away from the wall behind you. This creates depth and you look better with it!
- Make sure the camera is no more than 3 feet away from your face. The camera needs to be close to get the best quality sound.
- Frame the shot with your head and shoulders.
- How to address the camera:
- Speak loudly and proudly.
- Short sound bites work best in video. We don’t want any Shakespearean monologs.
- Did we say “short?” It is important that you keep it short. If you have a lot to say, give us a series of sound bites that only contain one idea or thought. Keep each point to 10 seconds. Pause and take a breath between each point so we can pluck out the one we want.
- We will be editing this so take your time and don’t worry about getting it perfect the first time. Don’t worry if you do multiple takes, we will choose the best one, or parts of several.
Yes, it’s that simple. Just be yourself, be creative and have fun and we’ll see you at Summit. You have registered, right?
If you have any questions ask them in the comments box below or tweet us @OutandEqual