by Stan Kimer, Business of Change guest blogger
Should businesses really care about the “gay marriage” debate? Isn’t a personal type of matter like this irrelevant to business? Shouldn’t businesses simply stay out of this discussion? This is currently a hot topic in my state, North Carolina, which has an anti-gay marriage amendment on our May, 2012 ballot.
My reply – Businesses should absolutely care and be involved, and I believe there is compelling logic to support this.
Right now across the US, the state landscape varies widely, from:
- The states that have full same-gender marriage to
- those that provide for a civil equivalent to
- those that say nothing on this issue to
- those that have a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage
- and finally to worst case of those states that have a constitutional amendment banning any form of relationship recognition accept a one man-one woman marriage.